Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Taking Sound for Granted

About four years ago, I decided to take a leap of faith and get a cochlear implant. My hearing was collectively decreasing overtime, and with college within the next year, I felt the need to hear more. A cochlear implants is essentially a computerized device that, when surgically in place behind the ear, will stimulate the nerves to create computerized hearing. A risky procedure, since in the process of doing so, you lose all of your hearing in that ear forever.  After hearing stories and watching my friends with cochlears effortlessly communicate with others and talk on the phone, I decided it was my turn to hear a little easier.  This did not come without doubts; I remember be anxious for it, especially since everyone had such high expectations for me.

Upon having the device switched on for the first time, I'll admit-- I hated the noise.  It was loud, obnoxious, and if it wasn't for my parents and best friend sitting along side with me, I would have started sobbing in disappointment. I remember being so thankful that I drove my car there by myself, because after the meeting, I went in the car, and turned on the music to calm my nerves.  Imagine my shock when the country music song come on the radio and it sounded like high pitch screaming.

It felt like there was no escape, and no turning back. It took a good two weeks for me to start realizing the fantastic things I could finally hear- my dad calling my name from the basement while I was upstairs in my room, crickets chirping, bees buzzing, and above all, talking on the phone.   Looking back, four years later, after intensive training, I look forward to learning a new sound everyday.  I can honestly say that my favorite sound is the wind (granted, the wind tunnel that RIT offers does not sound so nice, but the nice breeze on a summer's day is much nicer to hear).  I can correct my speech, and I can talk to my parents on the phone.

Reading over what I just wrote-- it would not be surprising if a hearing person thought it was silly.  The smallest sounds that so many people take for granted are the mere things that I am still being exposed to everyday.  There are some people that think of having a hearing loss/being deaf is a disadvantage-- with the help of technology, I have been able to turn that into my advantage, and I thank God that He let me have this life, for I do not take the sounds I hear for granted.